Saturday, May 22, 2010

Oil and Water--Experimental Work




Several months before the big oil spill, I began experimenting with some imagery of pigmented oil dropped in water. I was amazed by the suggestive forms and shapes that began to appear. In one case, I made a mirror image, which is a gimmick, and something I rarely do, but I was even more amazed--I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Now with the oil spill continuing to gush, these images seem to take on added meaning. What do you think?
(be sure to enlarge for best view of the details)






3 comments:

David Leland Hyde said...

These are timely and interesting creations. It seems oil and water will be mixing for a long time as gulf BP oil leaks into our liquid future.

Michael francken said...

Hi,
This work is relaly speaking to me !
Love the neverending details and the natural subtlety.
Are these in any way available for puchase ?

Michael

David Barlow-Krelina said...

Hi John! I'm really curious as to what kind of set-up you used to get these photos. What size of container did you use? Was it vertical, or lying flat? And how was it lit? I'm a bit fan of those suggestive forms and faces in that symmetrical one. There's a lot of inspiration in there!

David